50th Anniversary Celebrations, 16-18 Sept, 2022
Human Sciences marked its 50th anniversary with a number of celebrations at the Meeting Minds Alumni Weekend of 16-18 September 2022 including
- A talk by Professor Susana Carvalho on the Paleo-Primate Project Gorongosa
- A talk by Professor Sir Simon Baron Cohen on 'The Pattern Seekers: How autism drives invention' (A recording of the talk can be found here.)
- A picnic in the University Parks
- Two round table discussions featuring notable alumni including Vanessa Berlowtiz, Suriyah Bi, Paddy Christy-Parker, Caroline Elton, Lucy Lake, Freya Pryce, Daniela Sieff, and Giles Tremlett (The recordings of the discussions can be found on our YouTube Channel.)
- A gala dinner in Wadham College at which the Chancellor, Lord Patten, was our guest of honour. (You can read the text of Professor David Gellner's speech introducing Lord Patten here.)
A selection of photographs from the weekend can be found here.
We are always keen to receive news from alumni and to provide information on developments at Human Sciences as well as publicising the achievements of our current students. We accept possible contributions from our alumni for our annual newsletter.
Hampton Gaddy has received the 2022 Roger Schofield Award for the paper presented by a young demographer at European Society for Historical Demography conference. Hampton is currently studying for an M.Phil. in sociology and Demography at Nuffield College
Simon Baron Cohen was knighted in the 2021 New Years Honours list for services to people with Autism.